Monday, May 17, 2010

Homemade Detergent Fail

I had the brilliant idea to make homemade detergent last week. I searched for some recipes, then decided to combine a few and make my own. The website Tipnut had a great list of recipes - I took the very last one on the list and made my own, combining...

-Washing Soda
-Borax
-Liquid Castille Soap
-Baking Soda
-Vinegar

So I mixed all the ingredients and took some pictures to share.

DSCI0033.jpg picture by racheld15

It turned into a mushy, sticky paste. Ok, that is usable. I even did a little test on some wipes - I rubbed a blueberry onto two wipes, then washed one in my homemade detergent and one in some Free & Clear detergent. They came out equally clean after being hand-washed in the sink. Things were looking promising! I then did a load of clothes with my detergent - everything smelled fine! This is going to be a fabulous blog post!

...but then the next morning, I looked at my detergent that I had stored in a leftover plastic bag from another detergent. It was no longer a mushy squishy liquid, or a nice powder - it was a solid rock! Seriously, I think I could throw this through someone's window if I so desired, or possibly at someone's head if I wanted to give them a concussion.

DSCI0018-2.jpg picture by racheld15

Anyway, back to the drawing board. I will be making some homemade detergent, but maybe a nice mix of Borax & Washing Soda, or perhaps one of the liquid recipes on the Tipnut site. I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I saw a link to your blog on BBC. :) My mom has been making her own detergent for a while now and loves it! She uses this recipe -
    1/2 c. borax
    1/2 c. washing soda
    1 bar Fels Naptha or Ivory soap, grated
    -
    She uses Ivory soap and combines the ingreds w/ a pastry cutter until they make a somewhat uniform powder. Use 1-2 Tbs for top OR front loading machines. The recipe came from this site - www.debtfreeadventure.com.
    She also uses vinegar in the rinse cycle, in place of fabric softener (I do that too!). Anyway, like I said she loves this recipe, and only needs about 1 Tbs. per load for her top-loading machine. Hope this helps, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm going to have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL this made me giggle ^^

    ReplyDelete