Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cleaning Greenly

Today I decided to make some green cleaning supplies to use around the house. Josh of course is always up for mixing potions in bowls, so he decided to help me out. First, I went to the store and bought a whole bunch of recommended ingredients from the book, Green Clean.


Liquid Castile Soap - $8.99
Borax - $2.99
Lemon Juice - $1.69
Baking Soda - $0.47
3 Spray Bottles - $5.97
Club Soda - $0.99
Total: $21.10


I already have lots of microfiber towels to use as cleaning rags and a bottle of vinegar, so I didn't need to stock up on those today. I found a couple recipes and started mixing away.

First, we made this - but I didn't buy any essential oil, so it doesn't smell yummy like it should.

Vinegar Spray
1 tsp. Borax
1 tbsp. Castile soap
1/8 cup Distilled white vinegar
2 cups hot water
5-10 drops essential oil (optional)


We started with a couple cups of water....


Added the Borax.....


And the soap....


Josh helped by pouring in the vinegar and stirring it up...

Then we put it in a spray bottle....

And wrote the ingredients with a Sharpie (I would have used my label maker, but it's missing).

After we were done, he still wanted to make more and wanted to use the club soda. I thought we should just leave it in the bottle for when we needed it, but he was persistent, so we poured it into another spray bottle. He wanted to add lemon juice, so we squirted a bit into the bottle (but mostly all over the dining room table).

The true test will be to see if these items work as well as our non-green items or our store-bought green cleaners. I'll let you know if I ever have time to actually clean!

If you don't have all these items available, just take a bottle and mix up some vinegar and water. This is the spray that I use most often for cleaning, it's great for the high chair, windows, mirrors, dining room table, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment