Saturday, August 7, 2010

Babywearing for the Clumsy

So... I'm clumsy. Like, I fall over nothing pretty easily, and people laugh. I once dropped the tube at the bank drive-through under my car. And I once nearly crashed, face-first, while wearing my baby. SO not a good example for the babywearing community!

In case there are any other clumsy mamas that want to wear their babies, here are my best tips to make it safe for both of you (and your ego).


1) Wear baby on your back.
When he/she is on your back, you can see you feet. When you can see where you're stepping, you can make sure not to miss a step or a curb and go flying into the middle of the parking lot. I also find it way more comfortable.

2) Wear sensible shoes.
I wear flip-flips 9 months out of the year, but they really aren't too safe when you're wearing your baby. If I wear sneakers, I don't have to worry about them slipping off and causing a fall.

3) Get some help while you get baby on your back.
Or, alternately, make sure she has a safe place to land if something goes wrong. I've never dropped her as I've slung my daughter over my shoulder in my mei tai, but you never know. Usually when I'm out with my husband, he will spot me and make sure she is sitting comfortably. When I'm out alone, I stand with the car door open so the seat is right below her. The same goes for taking baby off your back - make sure you hold on to your baby and she has a soft place to fall, just in case.

I use a Babyhawk mei tai wrap - it's pretty easy to learn how to use and my daughter likes it. Below is my favorite video, and this is pretty much how I always wear my daughter. Good luck, and happy (safe) babywearing!

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled on this post (ha!)...but I really appreciated the tips. I'm not so graceful myself...the other day I went on a walk w/ my two girls - the 3 yr old was riding her scooter and I was wearing my 10 month old in front in my wrap. I was so proud of myself for using my wrap and not our uncomfortable-looking cheap-o umbrella stroller. Until...my older daughter suddenly rode a little too close to me and I couldn't see her and I tripped and fell down hard. Thank HEAVENS my baby didn't get hurt, but it was close. Ugh, I felt so foolish!! (Not to mention sore from skinned-up hands!) :( Anyway, long story short, I am getting a mei tai soon, and can't wait to try carrying my baby on my back! Thanks for the video. :)

    ReplyDelete